Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Peach Tree

Have you ever seen a dead peach tree? I have … almost. When I lived in Albuquerque we had a peach tree in our back yard that looked as if it was dead, or at least dying. Several people told me it had wood borers and that I should chop it down.

For two years I allowed that decaying tree to remain in my yard. In the spring of the third year I decided I would drown that peach tree with water and see what happened.

Every night, faithfully, yet with little faith that I was doing anything of significance, I stood at the base of that tree, garden hose in hand and poured what seemed to me enormous amounts of water to that tree.

Yes, Albuquerque can be hot and dry. Yes, it is tough to keep even the grass green in that wonderfully beautiful desert land. Was I fighting a losing battle? I didn’t know for sure, but I did my job without fail.

Wonder of wonders. Later that summer I enjoyed the most delicious crop of peaches you would ever want to taste. They were juicy, large and perfect. No sign of worms, bores, or anything remotely resembling a pesky varmint.

The tree just needed water.

It Just Needed Water

The stuff of life.

I’ve had friendships that just needed a bit of watering in order for them to thrive.

I’ve met people who needed a touch of something that I could give them – water in the form of words of hope and encouragement, to enable them to grow, stand up tall again, and walk into a better, more encouraging, hope-filled future.

My friends Russ and Janelle Hansen offer nourishment for the soul with stunning video imagery set to inspirational music. Check out their website at http://www.gloryscapes.com/  For a real treat take a look at the Moonlight Sonata/Were You There clip.

Have you had dry seasons in your life? Have you sometimes shown signs of wood borers and dead, scaly bark?

I’ve had a season or two like that. I’ve had times when I’ve been in great need of nourishment and nutrients to get me back to a healthy state. I’ve had to read more, study more, spend the extra effort to gain whatever advantage I needed to make some improvements in my own life.

And I’ve had some key friends who have come along at just the right time and say the words that spoke health and healing, hope and encouragement to my soul.

Sometimes, all it takes is a little nurturing, a little refreshment, a touch of the right ingredients; the right words that can make all the difference in the world.

I want to be that kind of person. I want to go around adding to people’s lives. I want to pour on huge doses of nurture and life-sustenance stuff that grows you up, inflates your sails and helps you soar.

Will you join me in this cause?

Can you add to someone today?

Let’s go water some peach trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment