Thursday, July 29, 2010

How Will You Use Your Life?

Life is a gift. We are here for a short span of time, we interact, we construct, we create, we consume. We occupy space and use resources, but what is it all about?

I so admire people who live their lives on purpose. I can think of some major influencers in my own life who have left huge footprints and I am better for having known them.

I think of my own father, who chose – on purpose - the town in which we grew up. He felt Lewisburg, Tennessee would be a good place to raise his growing family. He started a Nazarene church that is still thriving today, he was Mayor of the town for two terms and he was generally known as Preacher Biggs. His legacy was huge!

Just one month ago I received a nice Face Book post from a lady who was reflecting on my father’s legacy. She shared some of the positive impact his influence had had on her and on others in her family. Remember, my father died eighteen years ago. His influence is felt even today.

I’ve had mentors and life influencers who have taught me valuable skills, insights, and left huge impressions all over my life. Have you?

I hope you pause and reflect and give thanks for some of these people, and if they are still around, maybe you should send them a note of appreciation for their influence on your life.

But what I really want us to think about is what are we doing to leave our own legacy? How are you using your life? Sobering question.

I have a friend in Nashville and he is still investing into the lives of young ministerial students at the university campus from which I graduated. Keep going Wilbur.

My friend Harold has written over 25 books and they all are designed to improve someone’s handling of life and the stuff that comes with it. He is using his life as a writer and speaker.

My friend Kevin is writing and speaking to inspire and encourage people through the power of words. I admire you Kevin.

My friend Steve in Indiana is leading worship for a church and is active in bringing people into a closer relationship with God. I’m proud of you Steve.

My wife decided to get a university degree after raising her kids, and she sees ways of helping mankind with a sociology degree in hand. Honey, you will make a difference.

If you’ve been reading these blogs for very long you know my aim in life is to offer hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time. That is one way in which I am using my life.

I’ve had a few different career tracks, and I’ve lived a bunch of places. I do a lot of reflecting and mulling over of my life. Have I done enough? Have I been true to myself and my God?  Have I developed my skills to my best ability, all with the thought of bettering mankind?

I hope so.

You’re going to live your life anyway. You are going to occupy space and resources.

Are you going to be a taker or a giver?

Will you covenant to use your life to the best advantage you can?

I believe you will!

I got the inspiration for this blog from an audio interview with Ken Dychtwald in the August 2010 issue of Success Magazine. He was asked one day, “Ken, how will you use your life?”

So, now that I’ve got you thinking about this, here are other questions for us to consider.
-What lasting legacy will I leave behind?
-What seeds of greatness or encouragement will I plant inside of someone?
-What impact will I have on this earth?
-What good marks will I leave behind indicating that I’ve walked this earth?

How will you live your life?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mike for mentioning me among the wonderful list of friends that have had an influence on you. I realize that my time is limited in making a difference in the lives of others. But I do want to be found faithful to the end. My legacy? All I ask is that those who cross my path will know they have met a person who believed in them and to pass on to the next generation the hope that finds is reality in a loving Father, eternally calling to each of us toward home. Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
  2. SSGLL - I call mine the "Seagull" purpose (to help me remember the acronym)
    I will live my life SERVING God by SHARING my talents to help other GROW; doing so with a LOVING attitude, while always LEARNING.
    Thanks for asking Michael, you're awesome and so is your blog : )

    ReplyDelete