Monday, April 19, 2010

What Do I Know For Sure?

A few weeks ago I invited you, my readers to submit some thoughts on the subject of “What Do I Know for Sure.” Here are some of the thoughts that came in. Hope you find meaning in my friend’s submissions.

(From a friend since childhood)
My dad used to preface remarks often with the phrase,
"I know one thing." I find myself thinking the same words when I am feeling the need to make real a concept of faith.

Knowing is as much a human need as breathing. We want to know that tomorrow holds promise: of being loved by our family and friends, of financial security, of the safety and welfare of our children and of what comes after this life is ended.

It has been my experience that most concerns involving the present and future can be relieved not by knowing, but by believing. God has given us the gift of relaxing our hearts and minds by trusting Him. Trust comes from knowing, and knowing is achieved by experiencing God's love through his Son, Jesus.

Trust does not happen overnight. It is built moment by moment as we attempt to believe that God will take care of us. Days of trusting are finally rewarded when we look back and see that God did take care of our concerns. This gives us confidence that He will continue to do so. The longer we trust, the more "knowing dividends" are accrued.

Neil Diamond expressed this need of knowing in a line,
"Wish I could tell you everything is all right, wish everything was all right."

Through faith in God, one can know that every-thing is all right and everything will continue to be all right. Neil Diamond was correct- humans can only wish, but God can make things all right. You know?
Michael Graham

(From a long-time friend)
One thing that has stayed with me since I graduated from high school was something that my Aunt Ruth wrote in the Bible she gave me for my graduation. She wrote, "When troubles knock you to your knees, you are in a good position to pray!" That has stayed with me and I have found need to remember and use it often.
Rick Hartwig

(From a former Neighbor)
Our priest closes every service during Lent with the following blessing, which I find to be incredibly powerful: "Life is short and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be quick to love and make haste to be kind." Words to live by all year!
Jan Duello

(From a wise long-time friend and mentor)
The older I get fewer are the rock-solid things I hold to be unshakable...those realities I am most sure of. Having lost a dear friend this week my mind turned to a favorite hymn: He Giveth More Grace.

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

(Chorus)
His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power has no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

The boundless grace of an infinite Heavenly Father gives me unwavering confidence for the present, future, and eternity. God does not fail any time anywhere. Of this I am sure.
Wilbur Brannon

May you find nuggets of truth, wisdom and encouragement in these words from my friends.



Blessings and Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment