Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Past Is Past

(For my readers who have a definite leaning toward the spiritual, I on purpose slanted this post to life in general and the blunders we all make, and the regrets we may have over those blunders.  Perhaps I'll do another run at this thought on my Internet Church blogsite with a definite word of hope and redemption from the Christian perspective.  For today, this is a psychological principle that is important for all of mankind.)

You and I have a past, a present and a future. 

We had to go through our past to get to today (our present), which leads us to our tomorrows.  FACT!

And now, for a bit of advice;
Don’t stumble over 
something behind you.
~Seneca – Roman Stoic Philosopher

Let’s go around the room and everybody reading this share your biggest stumble in life.  Okay, you start.  (I don’t think so.)

I try to make a habit of forgetting my past blunders, mistakes and sins.  I cherish what I have learned from some of those episodes in my life, but they don’t rule my life today, and neither should they rule your life.

Remembering past failures is a heavy sack of rocks for one to carry.  My friend, lay them down.  LAY THEM DOWN NOW!

Even in scriptures we are reminded of this.

 “As far as the east is from the west,
that far has God removed our
transgressions from us.”

During my life as a music leader in churches I could fill a book with some less-than sterling actions and words.  Fortunately my friends from those days remember more of my good moments and we laugh at the laughable awful moments. 

But we don’t dwell on those times.  We don’t continually beat ourselves up over those past actions.

What past memories plague you?
-A missed stock market moment?
-A divorce?
-A lost job?
-A lousy performance moment?

And I can imagine some of you are saying “but you haven’t mentioned my great life blunder.”

It is time to walk away.  It is time to leave our blunders in the past.  We need to cut the shackles that bind us to those moments of lesser grandeur.  There is a whole new world of experiences that we should be embracing.  I say to all of us – embrace the next chapter of your life.

The PAST IS PAST.

I can’t go back and fix any of my past mistakes, sins, regrets.  I can learn from them and do better next time.  And so can you.

May we all find the strength and grace to move ahead with the possibilities that lie before us, for there are an abundance of amazing possibilities.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment