Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sometimes I Have a Dirty Mind


Sometimes I have a dirty mind.  Do you?

Before you jump to bad places let me explain.  By “dirty mind” I mean sometimes I let junk accumulate in my mind as to how I view myself.  My mind gets cluttered with junk, and I get bogged down into dirty thinking.  Zig Ziglar called it “stinkin thinkin”. 

I am a big believer in having a good mindset and a positive attitude.  Attitude is often the critical deciding factor in many of life’s circumstances.

Here are some examples of a “dirty minded person.”
-"I’m no good to anybody."
    -"I can’t do anything right."
        -"Who would hire me?"
            -"My life sucks pretty much all the time."
        -"If you look up the word 'Loser'
          you’ll find a picture of me."
    -"If I disappeared would anybody care?"


Well, enough of that. 

We have to remember how critical our mindset is at all times.  We make or unmake ourselves every minute in every transaction just simply based on the conversations that go on between our ears.  We talk to ourselves constantly, but what are we saying?

The Bible says “Take every thought captive.” 
(II Corinthians 10:5)

So, my friend, allow me to offer all of us a reminder of who we are, what we might accomplish and some good directions in which to take our minds.

13-16Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
You formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
You know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made,
Bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow
From conception to birth;
All the stages of my life
Were spread out before you, 
The days of my life
Were all prepared before I'd even lived one day. 
(The Message
Psalm 139:13-16)

If the God of the universe gives that much thought to you even before your birth, do you think we can have a touch of respect for God’s wisdom and give ourselves a chance? 

Don’t despair.  Hold on to your future with hope.  I love this text from the Bible.  Jeremiah 29:11. 

“For surely I know that plans I have for you, 
God says.
Plans for your prosperity 
and not for harm.
I want to give you a future with hope.”
 (MB paraphrase)


Thought leaders down through the ages have expressed the idea of “As a man thinks so is he” in a hundred different ways. 

“You become what you think about.”  (Earl Nightingale)

“Only those who can see the invisible can accomplish the impossible.”  (Dr. B. Lown)

“Vision is what we see when we close our eyes.”  (Kevin Hall)

The mind is everything.  A man’s life is what his thoughts make of it.”
(Marcus Aurelius –Roman Emperor)

“A man is what he thinks about all day long.”  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)


So, what kind of mind do you have?  Is it still dirty, cluttered, and clouded over with the nasty, the ugly, the self-defeating?

Feast on these words.

I am Somebody
I may be poor
But I am Somebody

I may be young
But I am Somebody

I may be on welfare
But I am Somebody

I may be small
But I am Somebody

I may make a mistake
But I am Somebody

My clothes may be different
My face may be different
My hair may be different
But I am Somebody

I may be black, brown, or white
I may speak a different language
But I want to be respected, protected
Never rejected

I am God’s child
I am Somebody


Rev. William H. Borders,
Written in the 1950’s. 

Stand up, man, woman, boy, girl.  
Change your mindset.
Make up your mind today 
that you are SOMEBODY.
And remember - 

God don't make junk!



1 comment:

  1. I like to think of spraying my mind with Lysol when I get contaminated like that. The spray is contemplative prayer.
    Wilbur Brannon

    ReplyDelete