Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Great Hunger

  
“There is more hunger for love
and appreciation in this world
than for bread.”
~Mother Teresa


The great cry of the human heart is to be recognized – to be valued an appreciated.  Mother Teresa’s quote resonates with my heart.  People from all stripes of life desire this, and I am dedicating my life to offering hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time to all of mankind. 

Last night Carolyn and I ate at one of our favorite places near Greenlake here in Seattle.  Our wait-person was a pretty 22-year-old and it was her second day on the job.  As she greeted us she said “It’s nice to see you.  How has your day been?”  We responded and then I asked, “And how are you doing?”

Here response:  “I’m doing great, and thanks for asking.”

She is a waitress.  She serves the public and she is eager to do a good job.  And she is just like you and I – she hungers for recognition and to be valued. 

She has good days, bad days, bills to pay, relationships to manage, and a family that lives 1000 miles away.  And she is new to Seattle and learning a new town and a making a new life. 

And yet the hunger persists.

I remember something Oprah Winfrey said on her last TV broadcast. 

“I’ve talked to nearly 30,000 people 
on this show, and all of them 
had one thing in common;
They all wanted validation.”

Every person with whom you rub elbows is seeking an affirming word.  I readily see this here in Seattle and from the many readers who have corresponded with me at one time or another. 

Oprah also added this:  “Every person you meet is asking:
   “Do you see me? 
    Do you hear me? 
    Does what I say mean anything to you?”

People will respond to the right word spoken at the right time. 

My message for all of us is this:  Share a good word with those around you.  And when you do, you are adding a measure of strength to their being, and those words you say contain the seeds for helping them build their own validity within.

Will you join this army of encouragers?

I hope so.

And now, if you sometimes long for a word of hope, encouragement and insight, consider these.








You are now empowered!  
Go and live the full life 
God intends for you to live. 


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment