Thursday, May 10, 2012

I'm not Much, but I Am Somebody


I’m not much, but I am somebody. 

I like to write books and blogs.  I’m not Thoreau or Twain, Robert Frost or Edgar Allen Poe, but I am somebody. 

I’ve sung a solo or two in my lifetime.  I’m not a Pavarotti or Andre Bocelli.  No, not at all.  You see, I’ve sung a few flat notes in my lifetime.  But I am somebody.

I took mechanical drawing in the tenth grade.  I made a D.  I’m mechanically challenged you might say.  I’m no Frank Lloyd Wright, but I am somebody.


I’ve done a good bit of public speaking in my life.  I’m no Billy Graham.  Sometimes I’ve flubbed my speeches, but I am somebody.

I’ve directed a few choirs and orchestras in my years of living.  I’m not in the league of Leonard Bernstein.  I’ve dropped a few batons as a conductor. But I am somebody.

I am a drummer.  I’m no Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich.  Twice in my drumming life, I’ve dropped my drum sticks at crucial moments in a performance.  But I am somebody.


On most days, when you look at me, you wouldn’t see much.  I’m not the most handsome guy in the room; I’m not the slimmest, even though I have lost 30 lbs in 4 months.  But I am somebody.


You see, God emblazons each of us with the gift of his signature on our lives.  He puts within us a stamp of his image.  It is as much a part of who we are as is our DNA. 

If you are like me, you’re no work of art either.  You struggle with life just like all normal people.  But you and I are somebody just because we have the signature of God on our lives.  We have his stamp.  The Bible says we are made in the image of God. 

You and I, and the man pushing a shopping cart over there loaded down with all of his material possessions – we are all made in the image of God.

So, though we may not be prized by many people in this world, we are prized by God.

He has stamped our lives with his unique signature. 

He put something inside of us that continually makes us long for that connection with him.  We need a higher power bigger than we are.  We need some force and source that we can turn to at every stage of our lives. 

“Not much of a prize” you say?
“Nothing to see here” we muse?

Maybe … But when I see you I see the hand of God at work.  I see potential.  I see a future with hope.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment