Thursday, September 15, 2011

Let's Go Invent Tomorrow


Today is done.  Last week and last month are distant memories.  I can’t go back and change anything that happened in the past.  But tomorrow is coming. 















Steve Jobs made the statement, “Let’s go invent tomorrow rather than worrying about what happened yesterday” when he was reinstated as head of Apple Computers in 2007.  Living in the past is … the past.  Yesterday’s meal was for yesterday.  Last week’s sale was great, but now we need tomorrow’s sale. 

I love looking back as much as the next person, but only long enough to reflect on where I’ve come from, and to navigate my moves for tomorrow and do better.

It’s all about tomorrow.  What can we create tomorrow that will have lasting significance?

There are sales to be made tomorrow.
There are blogs to be written tomorrow.
There are kids to hug tomorrow.
There are conversations to be had tomorrow.
There are grand plans and vacations and destinations to be anticipated tomorrow.

Move toward tomorrow.  Hold onto the memory of today, but go and invent tomorrow.

You and I get a blank page on which to write tomorrow.  We can create, dream and invent and become anything we want to become -- tomorrow.  Tomorrow is not stuck on yesterday. 

I made a misstep today. 
I spoke out of turn. 
I looked bad in that performance.
I didn’t listen with both ears before I spouted off.
I over-talked a critical contact person yesterday.

Tomorrow I will do better, be better, listen better, act better.

How can we invent tomorrow?
1.      Learn from today; note our weaknesses and do better.
2.      Read more on subjects of interest for our future.
3.      Take a class in our area of interest.
4.      Ask for help from someone who is successful.
5.      Write down five things we  can do better tomorrow.  Tackle them one at a time.
6.      Know thyself.  Take a personality assessment to help with our self-understanding.  Live the examined life.  Discover our own acres of diamonds.  (If you haven’t read this book, you really should.)

Our tomorrows are waiting. 



1 comment: