Thursday, June 24, 2010

If You Don't Think Highly of Yourself, Who Will?

Occasionally I come across a question or comment that just begs to be written about. Such is the case with this question that a friend of mine in Waco, Texas sent. Carla sent me a list of fifteen questions, and this was the last one on the list, and the most profound one.

The question is: If you don’t think highly of yourself, who will?

What opinions do you hold of yourself? When you hold up a mirror to your mind, what do you hear/see? When your mind is in idle and you think about the sum total of you, what do you see and feel?

Brian Tracy, motivational speaker and writer, is fond of having his listeners and readings repeat the phrase “I like myself. I really like myself.”

The more I read and understand human nature, the more I come to understand that many of us carry around memories from our growing up years that are less than esteeming. Often, we replay these tapes in our minds on auto pilot without realizing what we are thinking and telling ourselves. Our subconscious is listening all the while and absorbing everything our stream of consciousness is spilling into our minds.

How do we change this habit? These thoughts are comfortable, for we have believed them for so many years, and no one has come along side us to counteract them, so they must be true, right?  I mean, look at my life. I’m a nobody. I’m lost in myself.

My friend, let me walk beside you and whisper some important concepts into your ears.
You are smarter than you think.
You are more capable than you ever imagined you are.
You have just as much opportunity for achievement as anyone else you know.
You are a loveable person.
You’ve got talent.
There is a God who has you in His sights and he never sleeps and you are never out of his care.

If you are feeling down on yourself I want to give you an assignment. Og Mandino, one of the great inspirational writers of all time, wrote a book called The Greatest Miracle in the World. In this little gem, Og includes a passage called The God Memorandum. Follow the link below and read it every night for one hundred nights. Consider this nightly reading as a prescription for what ails you. You’ll gain a new appreciation for your uniqueness and the divinity that flows within you.

The God Memorandum link: http://www.wowzone.com/godmemo.htm

Above all, believe in you! As someone long forgotten once said, “God don’t make junk!”

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mike:
    A powerful note on believing in one's personal worth. What a confidence-builder. I have found my confidence in knowing Who made me and gave me a "Call" for my life's work. It is so reassuring to know when one is pleasing God for then comes the rewards of our desiring God's will above all other competing interests.

    ReplyDelete