Wednesday, May 9, 2018

New Shoes and New Friends


New Shoes and New Friends

I have a pair of very nice brown dress shoes in my closet.  I’ve worn them a few times, and they still don’t fit well.  I’ve about given up on them, and did I mention they are new? 

I’ve had friends like that.  We didn’t fit well at first.  Perhaps I judged, perhaps I offended, perhaps I just didn’t give the friendship enough time and nurturing. 

Perhaps.

Sunday night, we had a story-time.  Our youngest grand (age 8), told a story about this very subject.  And today, he and his best bud are inseparable, yet nine months ago, at the beginning of school, they felt they were worlds apart and could and would never be friends.  They weren’t willing to try, in the beginning.

Meet my friend, Sam.  Forty-seven years ago, this month was the first time I ever saw him.  I remember distinctly thinking we probably would/could never be friends.  He just didn’t fit some stupid guideline that I was forming as to the kind of friend I wanted. 

He turned out to be a life-long friend.  Even today, when we talk occasionally, we invariably go back to some joke from our past and laugh like two third graders. 

I’m learning to give new shoes and friendships a good and long break-in time. 

This is my morning reflection.


Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment