Thursday, February 16, 2017

It's Frightening to be Free

Freedom and fear of freedom.  What a conundrum.

We talk about freedom and being free and that is all good.  Very good in fact. 

But actually … sometimes, don’t we fear freedom?

Freedom means making our own choices
Walking our own path
Choosing who and what
and where and when and why
just because we are free.

And then … at the end of our freedom of choice what do we find?

We don’t have anyone 
to blame if things fall apart.

We can’t say …
“He made me do it.”
“She tricked me into this job, this investment, this relationship.”

Yes, it is frightening to be free. 

And so what? 

Freedom carries with it responsibility. 



FREEDOM and RESPONSIBILITY

Can we handle that?

Perhaps the question is not …
"What if I fail?"  That is fear-based.

Maybe we should look at it from … 
What if I succeed?  
What if my freedom brings me joy to the max?

What if I actually create my dream, or invent that gadget, or start that company that far exceeds expectations.

Yes, indeed … Freedom is frightening.

However … give me freedom every time. 

I have learned that I can make some good and reasonable decisions for my life.  Oh, it has taken me a few years to reach that point, but I have reached it.

So … bring on freedom. 

Seth Godin wraps up this thought in a neat little package.

We willfully create
the illusion that we
have no choice
because it’s frightening
to be free.
Seth Godin
What to Do when It’s Your Turn


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment