Thursday, November 17, 2016

One Man - One Voice

I am a writer.  I am not Thoreau, or Mark Twain, or James Patterson, but I am ME.  I have a voice, and I choose to express it in my own unique style. 

I like to sing.  I’m not one of the greats like Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli, but I can still sing.  I’ve even sung a few flat notes in my lifetime, yet sometimes people have stopped to listen.  My voice is unique to me and I sometimes choose to let it be heard. 

I took a drafting class in high-school and nearly flunked it.  I can’t design houses like Frank Lloyd Wright.  Shucks, I can’t even make a worthy paper airplane, but I am still somebody.  My skills lie in other areas, and I have worth and value. 

I love to speak.  My choice topics are hope, encouragement and inspiration.  I can’t speak like Billy Graham or other great orators, but I do have my own voice, my own style, and I sometimes have something to say.  I choose to speak words of help and hope, not hurt and harm.

I am an average looking guy.  I am thirty or so pounds overweight, I’m bald and eat with my elbows on the table sometimes.  But some still find me worthy enough to get to know on a personal level and call me ‘friend’.  I still have worth.

I play the drums.  I’ve dropped my drum sticks a few times, yet I can still play a creditable set of drums in the style of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich.  I’m not as good as they were, but I can still play.

I sometimes direct choirs and orchestras.  On more than one occasion I have dropped my baton.  It even hit a viola player once, and he forgave me.  I can still direct and at times in the score you’ll hear some lovely musical moments.  Just because I have dropped my baton-I’m still okay.

I have voted in elections since I reached voting age.  My favored candidate hasn’t always won, but I’ve cast my vote nevertheless.  That is my right and privilege.  Even when my candidate was not the winner I have accepted the results, and life goes on.

We each are given opportunities to go and try and see what we can become, see where our voice is heard and accepted.  And if it is, well and good.  And if it is not … then we accept the rules in play.  Just because we have done some good in the past, or have had failures and disappointments, we are still okay, and the world will go on.  We trust wiser minds than ours, and we trust a God who is bigger than all of these circumstances we face. 

You see, I have one voice.  My voice has spoken down through all the years of my living.  That is my privilege and my responsibility.  And as a children’s song once said “My rights end at the tip of your nose”.

It is enough that I have one voice and have expressed it.

I am one man with one voice. 

That is all!


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment