Sunday, July 26, 2015

Instruments of Healing

In our advanced medical society mankind has created an amazing array of instruments that are used in healing.  Some are large, expensive and foreboding.  Others are small and sharp, and require great skill in simply
manipulating them. 

And the greatest instrument of healing available to us is …

Our Words.

“Honest, heartfelt, well-chosen words have the power to heal us and make us whole.”  (That is a quote from The Four Things that Matter Most by Ira Byock, M.D.)

In our quest to develop good and wholesome relationship we use words as our main tools.  Often, misunderstandings can arise.  Feelings can get stepped on.  And the right words can help move us toward the emotions of love and trust. 

I remember when Carolyn and I were in the beginning days of our relationship.  As she expressed it, my words to her offered healing, reassurance, emotional support and a sense of trust and belonging.  A few years before we met she had come through a rather painful experience. 

Words were very important, and so were the actions to follow.  I’m thankful she accepted my words and my actions, for we are approaching our ninth wedding anniversary.

The words we hear in everyday life can have such a profound influence on us that words can raise or lower blood pressure, elevate skin temperature, and enhance our concentration or disturb it as we try and process the words we’ve just heard.

A quick example:  During my days of being a youth minister, I had it said to me once that “You are an accident looking for a place to happen.”  Even thirty-eight years later those words still have some sting to them.

Words can bring others back from the abyss of despair and hopelessness.

I remember reading How to Win Friends and Influence People.  Dale Carnegie tells the story of a poorly dressed beggar he met on the street.  Considering his book and the principles he had promoted, he wanted to throw this man a lifeline of hope rather than ignore him.  He looked the man up and down and finally said, “I like how neatly your shoe laces are tied.” 

The very next day Mr. Carnegie’s secretary buzzed him and said there was a gentleman waiting to see him.  When Mr. Carnegie approached the well-dressed and freshly shaved man he had no recollection of ever having met him. 

The man finally spoke and said, “Perhaps you don’t remember me.  Yesterday, I was at my wits end and was ready to go down and throw myself into the river.  I decided to give it one more shot, and that is when I met you.  Your comment about my shoe laces gave me a glimmer of hope that if I could do that one thing well, perhaps there are other things I can do well also.” 

Words have tremendous power.  They can bring life to a lifeless soul.  That is the main reason I have named my imprint 
Up-Words 
Offering Hope, Encouragement, Inspiration one word at a time.

When we speak the right word at the right time we have the power to give strength, renew faith, rekindle hope and restore a sense of dignity.

Will you speak some healing words to someone this week?  Feel free to use some of these or think of your own. 

You’re going to make it.
We’re going to be all right.
You Can.
You have it in you to do well.
I believe in you.
You have been a major influence on my life.
You are almost to the finish line.
You inspired me today.
You helped me when I needed it the most.

Words are instruments of healing.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment