Thursday, July 30, 2015

Holding Hands

I’ll tell you right up front that I am going to go in two different directions with this post so hang on. 

Part One

Have you ever tried to hold hands with God? 
I don’t think that is possible, however, I do think God can hold my hand and that makes all the difference in the world.  I am using a metaphoric play on words here, and I know my readers are smart enough to catch my drift.


When I join hands with my grandkids I’m the one doing the holding.  I don’t want them darting out into traffic, or falling or wandering away.  I want to hold my grandkids hands. 

And I want God to hold my hand.  I can be strong-willed at times and I don’t always make great decisions.  When I really give up my will in the hand-holding and allow God to lead the dance, I find that things seem to work out better.  My life becomes a bit more orderly and my timing improves. 

When God holds my hand, He knows what is best for me and that includes all the details down to who, what, where, when and why.  Have I ever stepped out of line with God before? Absolutely.  And I always find a way to wander back by His side and slide my hand into His and allow the dance to continue and allow Him to lead the way. 

Part Two
And my second thought is this …

The hand I hold is the hand I love the most,
for it leads to the heart that loves me like I’ve never been loved before.  Carolyn and I love to hold hands as we walk.  Just tonight after dinner we took a walk up Sunset and back to our car.  We held hands for 99% of the way.  We broke long enough to smell some lovely roses and maneuver a broken part of the sidewalk.

Carolyn not only holds my hand, she holds my heart.  She holds my secrets, my dreams, and my bucket list.

She also holds my broken moments, the stuff we talk about that I share with no one else.  She knows how I really feel about a lot of stuff, and she loves me through it all.

And I do so for her.  When she comes home after a long day of teaching, I stop writing and take my hands off the keyboard.  Those first few moments when we come back together after being apart are critical.  

We also make a habit of rarely ever pulling out our cell phones during a meal. We would rather talk and listen, and look each other in the eyes.

We focus on each other when we talk.  In the automobile, she reads to me as we drive, and we’ve read some amazing books during our almost nine years of marriage. 

I hope you’re holding a hand that leads to your lover’s heart.  I hope your hand and mind and eyes and heart are totally open to receive all that your partner offers you.  I hope you find a lot to talk about, laugh about, and explore together. 

I hope you discover that the hand you hold is the hand that is holding you back.

Thanks for taking this walk with us tonight.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment