Thursday, January 1, 2015

Small Beginnings

Some people choose January 1st of every year and map out their strategies for the year to come.  I’m thinking about that as I write today.

A small reminder however:  the secret lies in beginning and in small incremental steps to do what one sets out to do.  If the goal is so far out of sight, to me, that is a de-motivator.  But if I can see some accomplishment at the end of a week, for example, then my chances are improved greatly that I can go beyond the first week, extend my horizons and continue marching toward my bigger goal.

I’m reminded of this “Peanuts” comic strip from a few years ago. 

Charlie Brown has just struck out and while sitting on the bench, he pours out his heart to Lucy.

He says:  “I’ll never be a big-league player.  I just don’t have it.  All my life I've dreamed of playing in the big league, but I know I’ll never make it.”

Lucy replies:  “You’re thinking too far ahead, Charlie Brown.  What you need to do is set yourself a more immediate goal.  Start with the next inning for example.  When you go out to pitch, see if you can walk out to the mound … without falling down.”
~Compliments of Charles Schultz and Peanuts Cartoon Strip

Now that is a small beginning. 

For me, the constant struggle is weight control and physical conditioning.  Beginning Jan. 2, what if I commit to seeing how many laps I can run around the gym floor at LA Fitness?  I don’t honestly know the answer to that right now, but we will find out tomorrow.  And next Monday, I’ll match and maybe even beat that record.  Repeat Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Okay, I've put it out there.  Those are small steps for me.  And now – comes the doing. 

You have your own agenda.  Is it time to make some small beginnings?


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment