Thursday, January 8, 2015

On Being an Artist

If you think this post is about drawing and painting, then keep reading.  It has nothing to do with those talents per se and it has everything to do with them and more.

“Make Good Art” first came to my attention from a
writer/speaker named Neil Gaiman.  And then my current hero, Seth Godin, took up the song and promoted the basic concept of “make art and ship it”.

So what is this “make art” thing all about really?  I’m going to borrow some ideas from Seth, first, and then extrapolate some thoughts based on his phrases.  Here we go.

TO BE AN ARTIST ...

~Be on the hook.  Step out.  Own your craft--write, sing, make a great retail store, bake an outrageous banana pudding, encourage people – whatever your “art” might be, own it.  Claim it.  Be on the hook for it.

~Take our turn.   Only you can decide when it’s your turn.  Don’t wait to be invited.  People were not beating down my door begging for my blogs.  I made a start, and now, five year later I’m read in over 117 countries, have had over 127,000 clicks and received some really encouraging notes about how these words encourage others.  That is a pretty good paycheck. 

Maybe it’s your turn.  Step right up.  Get in the batter’s box and take a few swings.  You might hit a home-run.  Better yet – you may become an over-night success – in three to five years.

~What if it doesn't work?  Every artist faces this dilemma at one time or another.  We never know for sure if our ideas will sing or not.  I was terrified every time I pressed “PUBLISH” on my blogs during my first year.  I felt I was putting it out there and what if people laughed, or cringed, or wrote me off as a lunatic.  I did it anyway, and so should you.

~Seek a connection.  That is the essence of making art - seeking a connection.  My friend Chuck does that with his bookstore in South Carolina.  And he does a great job of connecting with his customers not only in town, but around the world, for they have an international customer base.  Chuck and his team connect. 

My Nashville engineer friend Bob makes connections in the recording studio by giving numerous musicians his unique touch as a top-notch engineer.  He is the best-of-the-best.

~Take responsibility!  Every artist takes responsibility.  I write every word of my blogs.  I borrow ideas, I quote others and hope and pray I properly honor them.  And at the end of the day, I own my words.  I am responsible for them.  Sometimes Carolyn finds mistakes after the fact.  I fix what I can, and shrug off what is unchangeable.  I DID IT.  No one else gets the blame.

~To change someone:  I create my form of art for one purpose only – to change someone.  My purpose in life is to offer hope, encouragement and inspiration with every blog and book I write.  I want you to be different, see differently, think differently or deeper.  If I can change your view, even if you cling to your ideas a bit more tenaciously, then I have changed you. 

~To Be Human:  I am fully human.  I think and write in a style that is compatible with my formation, my past experiences and my present understanding.  I hope to God that my writing appears to be from a human being and not a machine, for I am a man in search of a deeper understanding of existing on this sphere we call earth. 

I want to encourage and inspire as many individuals as I possibly can.  Actually, my life’s goal is this:  “I want to write the blog heard around the world.”  Now that would be a fine way of making art.

I borrowed these headings from Seth Godin’s newest book – What to do When It’s Your Turn.  This is a highly recommended book, by the way.  (You can find these headings on page 145.)

Okay.  Now it’s your turn.  Go be an artist today.  Start big.  Start small. It doesn't really matter.  Just start making art.

That is all.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment