Friday, June 27, 2014

Life's Stings

Don’t you hate the stings that life has to offer?  For example …

~When we lived on Franklin Avenue a swarm of yellow jackets attacked me from a honeysuckle vine.  I received 15 or 20 stings that day.  Ouch.  That hurt.

~I broke my arm at age nine.  That was no fun, especially when my brother tried to set the broken bone himself, and he was only twelve.

Both of my parents are deceased. That stung.
Bankruptcy stings.
Job loss stings.
Losing a close friend stings.
Just last Saturday my brother Tom passed away.  That stung – a lot.  It still does.

It is a given that we will be stung by life’s circumstances.  It is inevitable. 

However – we can survive these stings.

God never promises to keep us from the hard places, but He does promise to be with us in those hard places.  And when they come, well – we endure.  We hang on.  We gather our close family members around us and those friends that we cherish and we hang on. 

The words of friends have done much to heal the sting of Tom’s passing.  I’ve received some amazing notes and expressions during this experience.  And the strengthened ties with my siblings is sweeter than before, and it was great before this happened. 

If life stings you in some harsh ways, turn to your friends.  Let them know some of what you are facing.  The measure of support you receive will amaze and encourage your heart.

And keep your faith intact.  The assurance of the presence of my God during these days has been a stabilizing force.

I’ve found comfort in the scriptures.  I've been encouraged by the words of friends and family, and I've found release after release in allowing the emotions to flow unhindered. 

That is perhaps one of the great truths I could share with you.  Let your emotions flow as you need them to.  You are not weakened by this display.  It is a healthy and therapeutic physical and emotional release valve that is built into our makeup.

I want to close with two verses from the Bible that have been especially meaningful during this sting in life.

“Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.

“Be not afraid nor dismayed, for I your God will be with you wherever you go.”  Be not afraid (Johua 1:9)


Life stings – no doubt about it. 

May the salve of God’s word bring you relief when the stings sting.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment