Monday, April 7, 2014

Playing Safe

If I never write a blog or publish a book I never have to put up with negative press or bad reviews. 

If I never sing, I don’t have to listen to others criticize my voice or tell me how awful I am.

If I never start my company, I don’t have to deal with undependable employees, the roller coaster ride of the economy or too much inventory.

AND

And if I don’t do any of those things I never have the privilege of improving myself, finding out just how far I might be able to take an idea or a talent.

Boats are safer in the harbor than out in the ocean, but boats aren’t meant for the harbor. 

See the analogy? 

We are made to create and expand our talent.  We are created to become more, bigger, stronger, and smarter.  We are gifted and then expected to expand those gifts. 

The law of the body says this:  If we don’t use a limb or a muscle, it will atrophy and wither away.  The same is true with the brain, the eyes and any other body part.

And so it is in life

Success and growth come with use.
We grow, we explore, we learn. 

Yes, sometimes we stub our toe, and thankfully toes heal.

So do bruised egos.
Businesses recover from too much inventory and a few unscrupulous employees.

And we build anyway.

You can play it safe if you choose.

I am choosing to continue creating.  My tools are my words, my brain and my computer.  Just last week I launched my sixth blog-site which is dedicated to poetry in the style of Shel Silverstein.  They are my own creations, they have no redeeming value, and they are fun to write.  Some have read them and laughed out loud.  For me, that is my payment.


What are you doing?

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment