Friday, November 22, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

(The next post for Morning Notes will be Friday, Nov. 29, 2013.  Happy Thanksgiving!)

In searching for some fresh thoughts on Thanksgiving, here is how my mind works this year.  I've searched numerous web quote sites and though they are full of good stuff, this year they leave me a bit less satisfied. 

So here goes …

What would life be without Thanksgiving?  What if it was outlawed?  Would we meet in clandestine places and spaces and celebrate quietly?

What if eating turkey was outlawed and our only choice was bologna?  Would Thanksgiving still hold its meaning? 

What if everybody had to wear a sticker on their forehead that said “Go ahead, Punk.  Ask me what I’m thankful for and make my day.”  Would you ask very many people?

What have I never mentioned before in a Thanksgiving prayer, yet it makes my life complete?

Here are some items on my list.
~The soft, highly comfortable loafers I’m wearing right now.

~The green sweater with two buttons.  I love that sweater and Carolyn threatens to throw it out every time I wear it.

~I am thankful for every text message from Carolyn after she reads my blogs.  Those are treasures and make me feel pretty special – every single one of them.

~I am thankful for giggles and laughter from my grand-kids.

~I am thankful for my Ford Taurus with 140,000 miles on it.  It still runs and gets me where I need to go.

~I am thankful for crock pots.  Enough said

~I am thankful for whoever you are who reads my blogs.  How did most of you find me?  Amazing!

~And finally, to God be all thanks, praise and honor for this life I live.

~And I am thankful for the one with whom I share life (Carolyn), and for siblings, step-kids, grand-kids and extended family, and an incredible list of friends near and far.  Do you realize how you mark my life?  I rarely tell you, but the marks are there, and they are good marks.  I remember funny things, quirky things, silly things, lovely things, serious things, and beautiful things. 

And mostly – memories.  I’m thankful for memories. 

Happy Thanksgiving 2013!


P Michael Biggs
Up-Words
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment