Friday, November 15, 2013

God's Weaknesses

From where I sit, it appears that God has some weaknesses that need to be pointed out. 

For instance, did you know He is lousy at math?  Why, He apparently can’t keep a balance sheet to save the day.  And don’t get me started on Him keeping score. 

I counted six or eight instances the other day when I had been a model citizen, even a good Christian, and did I get my just reward?  Nooooo!

I heard He favored an old man in a nursing home and brought him back from the brink.  Where is the justice in that?  That man was a mean and crotchety kind of fellow, and God actually gave him a break.  I can’t believe that.

And there was this woman facing cancer surgery.  She lived down the street from us.  She yelled at kids crossing her lawn and leaving muddy footprints in her freshly sown grass, and she cheated some on her income tax, or so I’m told.  And do you know what He did?  He brought her through that surgery and instead of dying in two or three months, she might live another year or more with the way the medical world has advanced. 

I scored way higher on the good deeds scale than she ever thought about, and God did that for her.  What is this world coming to? 

There was one time I really messed up, and I knew God was mad at me.  Well, I confessed alright, and then after that I stewed and worried that I hadn't done it right and all that.  And then someone pointed out the story in the Bible of the woman caught in adultery and all she got was a “don’t do that anymore and go about your way.”

I confessed, and even shed a tear or two.  I cried – real tears!

There just isn't any justice in this whole thing.  God is weak at best. 


Or is He?

Maybe He just offers to all of us the most amazing display of grace and peace and forgiveness.  All we have to do is reach out and accept it. 

Accept it. 

No strings attached.
No bowing and scraping.
No going without food for three days.

Just accept and believe. 

His words call to me.  They call to all of us. 

“Come to me all who are tired, weary, and have huge burdens.  I’ll give you rest.  Learn of me – Learn my ways, for I am the way to rest and peace.”

If that is weakness, I’ll take two helpings please.

The grace of God
                    The offer of peace

What a God. 

Don’t correct his math paper.  He has his own way of ciphering and I like the way He keeps books after all.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment