Monday, July 22, 2013

Make a Living or Make a Life

I just Googled my blog title.  There are numerous books, blogs, and articles that have used this as fodder for their content. 

Still I submit my thoughts.

In another blog I posted today I tell the story of an 84-year-old woman who went back to school to get her degree.  In a speech she gave, she closed with this thought.

“We make a living by what we get.
We make a life by what we give.”

This is the perfect quote for a philosopher such as me. 

So, what are we giving?  What legacy and what marks do we leave on this world that says “I passed by and this is what I want to leave for the next generation.”?

We can rest in confidence that we have lived a full life if we leave something of value and worth to others and for others.

Carolyn and I visited the Gates Foundation in Seattle a few months ago.  Bill and Melinda are such prime examples of giving back literally to the world in abundant measure.  They are strengthening the infrastructure in numerous countries around the world, and they are providing medical cures for countless children in so many less fortunate countries. 

Yes, they are allowing their lives to make life easier, longer lasting and healthier for countless individuals.  God bless them.

And you and I … what is our role in making a life by what we give?

For me, I want to offer a word of hope and encouragement to mankind.  I am fortunate that my blogs are now read in 105 countries.  That amazes me, and yet it weighs heavily on me to assure I produce words of quality, words of accuracy, and words that are true, reliable and believable.  I must write with integrity.  I pray I write with integrity.


What can you give back to mankind in your corner of the world? 
   Can you help a family in need?
      Can you bake a pie?
         Can you rake a lawn?
         Can you give a sack of groceries?
      Can you secretly give a stash of cash?
   Can you in some way enrich someone’s situation in a truly redeeming way?

That is the essence of this post.  If we can help another human being along the way, and then each recipient pass that along, look at what we would start. 

We would start a revolution of human kindness.

That’s not a bad way to live.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment