Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Invitation


I love invitations.  I love getting them in the mail and working them into our schedule.  Invitations mean lots of things

We’re invited
 We’re accepted
  Our presence is desired

   We are thought of
    We are highly
     esteemed 
      We are chosen
       We are wanted

My friend Chuck Wallington reminded me recently that in the Gospels, Christ is recorded saying the word “come” more than any other verb.  The words repent, change, or get fixed didn't make the most used list.  Christ used the word “come’.

Come unto me all you who labor and are heaven laden.  I will give you rest. 
(Matt: 11:28)

Come ye apart and rest a while.
  (Mark 6:31)

Bring (come and cast) all your cares to/on Him, for He cares for you.
(I Peter 5:7)

Come, follow me and I will make you fisher’s of men.
(Mark 1:7)

He that comes to me I will not cast out.
(John 6:37)

Come down, for today I must abide in your house.
(Luke 19:5 – the invitation to Zacchaeus)

"And the spirit and the bride say "come."  And let him that hears, come.  And let him that is thirsty come.  And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
Revelations 22:17


These examples sound like the inviting God I would love to know more about.  I don’t hear condemnation in His words.  He uses words like “draw closer, be still, and come down”

If we were in the south, He would probably say to someone “Why don’t we go over there under that nice Maple tree.  Let’s sit a spell and drink some ice tea.” 

Be sure and note the invitation is to everyone.  E V E R Y O N E !

No color restrictions.
No language misunderstood.
No clothing guidelines.
No passport needed.
If you’re totin’, bring your six-gun.

Now that is one invitation that gets my attention.

What about you?

He’s inviting.

Are you gonna show up?

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment