Thursday, January 10, 2013

What Defines You




“Be impressed with me.  I drive a …”
"Love me more.  I won the coveted title of …”
“Pay attention to my words.  I've just published my new …”

“Avoid me.  I have …”
“Leave me alone.  I’m known as a …”
“Ignore me.  I’m just a …”

We love to hang titles on ourselves, don’t we?  We think a title gives us a status, or prominence, or positions us for a better whatever. 

OR …

Or we wear the dirty rags of life like a badge of honor.

“I’m just a …”
   “I have this bad habit of …”
      “I smell like a …”

         “I look like a …”
           “I only work at …”


My past:
-I dropped my drum sticks on two different occasions in performances.
-I've sung exactly 165 flat notes in my lifetime.
-I was turned down fourteen times for dates before meeting Carolyn.
-I've had 127 people un-friend me on Facebook.
-A boss once told me to quit writing, for I was an embarrassment to him.


What defines your life?

-Your past?
-Your mistakes?
-A failed whatever?

My friend - be encouraged. 
You are not your past.
You are not even the worst day of your life.

You are a unique individual.  We are all on a journey, and along the way we encounter bumps and bruises, pot holes and ruts.  Sometimes we get lost.  Sometimes we fall in with the wrong crown.  And sometimes we fall flat on our faces.

And if we do, remember this.

Pick yourself up.
     Dust yourself off.
          Start all over again.

And especially note this …
        God loves you more than you can imagine.
God is with you.
God has gifted you.
God is guiding you.

What else is there?

What defines you?

Your possibilities.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment