Thursday, January 31, 2013

Again and Again



What if we made a new amendment to the constitution of the world? 


“Henceforth, from this day forward,
every person alive is now allowed
as many do-over’s as they need,
without repercussion.”


That would be amazing. 

Don’t we sort of have that?  Consider this, from my own personal experience.

God keeps giving me little snippet gifts.  Many are small tokens of his grace and love, but some have been Lottery-size.  Carolyn was one.  Another time I was given $3,000 anonymously. 

And God keeps forgiving.  That is amazing to me.  If I were God I’d put me on a leash and after, say, 13 times I’d cut me off and say, “Bad boy.  Can’t you learn anything?  You are banished from my presence forever.  There!”

But not God. 

And what about the invitation.  Time and again God invites us to be with him, to come to him, to dwell with him, to dine with him, to be a partaker with him. 

~Oops, we wandered away.  
          God says, “That’s okay.  Come on back.” 

~Oops, we broke our vows, again.  
          God says, “I will forgive.”

~Oops, we lost our sobriety or we relapsed for the 17th time.  
          God says, “Come to me; try again.  I will give you rest.”

Again and again we are reminded of God’s forbearance, his love, his patience, his goodness and his mercy. 

Time and again we are invited back into the arms of God, regardless of how we smell, how we think, how we live or have lived, or what our nationality might be.

We are received time and again. 

Amazing.

AMAZING!

Has God lost his common sense? 

Never!

He never says  I've had it with you, you low life.”

No. 

As Anne Lamott says in Help Thanks Wow, “We get to keep starting over. What a concept.

A God who invites us back in over and over and over, again and again and again.

Gotta love that.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment