Monday, August 6, 2012

The Art of Human Kindness



The Art of Human Kindness

Let me tell you a true story.  I don’t know who wrote this for it has circulated the web before today, but it is timely nevertheless.

~ ~ ~
“When I was a freshman in high school, I saw a guy from my class walking home.  His name was Kyle.  He was carrying all of his books.

I thought, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?  He must really be a nerd.'

I had a busy weekend planned (parties, a football game) so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I walked on by, a bunch of kids came running toward Kyle.  They knocked his books out of his arms and tripped him into the dirt.  His glasses landed ten feet away.

When he got back to his feet, my heart went out to him, so I jogged over to help him retrieve his glasses.  There were tears in his eyes.

As I handed him his glasses, I said, 'Those guys are jerks.  That was really mean.’

He looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!'

I helped him pick up his books and asked where he lived.  He lived near me, but I had never seen him before.  He said he went to a private school before enrolling in the high school.

We struck up a conversation as we walked to our homes, and I helped carry some of his books.  That was the beginnings of what turned out to be a great friendship.

On Monday, Kyle was walking to school with his huge stack of books.

I said, 'Boy, you are gonna build some serious muscles with that pile of books everyday!’   He just laughed and handed me some books.

When we were seniors we began thinking about college.  Kyle chose Georgetown and I chose Duke.  He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian for our class, and that meant he was to give a speech on graduation day.  He was nervous about his speech, so I gently nudged him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy, you'll be great!'  He looked at me, smiled and said ‘Thanks.'

As he started his speech, he said, “Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through the tough years; parents, teachers, siblings, and most of all your friends.’

‘I want to tell you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them, and here’s why.’

He began telling the story of the first day we met.  He had planned to kill himself over the weekend, and had cleaned out his locker.  That is why he was carrying his stuff home.

He looked at me and gave me a quick smile. 

‘Thankfully, I was saved.  My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable.'  A gasp went through the crowd as this now-popular boy told about his plans to go home and commit suicide on the day we first met. 

I did not realize until that moment the depth of what had happened four years earlier on that day when Kyle and I had first met.” 

~ ~ ~

Human kindness takes so little from us, yet pays such rich dividends and it is the gift that keeps on giving. 

We can never underestimate the power of our actions.  With one small gesture we can change a person's life for the better.

Something to think about in every encounter.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment