Thursday, June 17, 2010

What Am I Born to Do?

I want to teach you a new word. I learned this word from my new friend and author Kevin Hall in his book Aspire. The word is:

“Namaste: I salute the Divine within you. I salute what you do best. I salute your natural gifts. I honor your uniqueness and your specialness.”

So, what do you do best? What are your natural gifts?

John Maxwell says, in his book Dare to Dream: “When you discover what you were made for, your heart sings. It says, there’s no place like this place anywhere near this place, so this must be the place.”

I love finding my place. It’s like coming home. I love knowing what I do best. There is no feeling like that in the whole world.

Kevin continues with this thought from Aspire: “Recognizing your natural gifts is like meeting an old friend. It feels like coming home. And you are coming home; you are coming home to your authentic, genuine self. The feeling is blissful, natural, and unmistakable.”

And he continues: “You will know because it will flow.”

Don’t you love it when you are in the flow and in the groove? I’ve had moments as a worship leader and as a writer when I knew without a shadow of doubt that I was in the ‘moment’. Everything was right and appropriate and people were responding. What a thrilling experience that is.  

There is a question that I’ve been asked numerous times in my life by wise friends of mine. The question is this: "If you knew you could not fail, what would you do?"

At various stages of my life I would have answered that question in different ways. Today, my answer would be “I would write five or six days a week, with the intent of speaking to someone’s heart, offering hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time.” To me that would be my bliss.

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

What are your innate gifts? What activity makes your heart sing like no other?

Do you recognize your gifts?

There are numerous books and materials on this subject and a quick search on the web will reveal more than you can possibly use. One source is the Johnson O’Connor Research Foundation. They give aptitude tests to clients in a variety of areas, all with the intent of discovering what a person is best suited to do and become. I believe this is one resource that would be beneficial to anyone seriously wanting to discover their true aptitude for a more productive, wholesome, fulfilling life.

By completing a battery of testing such as the Johnson O’Connor Research Foundation offers, it will enable one to recognize and pursue their personal areas of strength and natural inclinations and abilities. As Kevin says in Aspire, “If we don’t recognize our gifts, we can’t use them. How can you appreciate a gift that you don’t open?”

So, what are you born to do? Have you discovered the work which makes your heart sing?

“If you want to really fly in your life, if you want to soar higher than you ever thought humanly possible, then feel free to be yourself. Feel free to follow your nature.” Aspire, Kevin Hall.

“I commit to stop doing what I am good at and start doing what I am great at. That is Namaste at its very essence.” Aspire, Kevin Hall.

1 comment:

  1. I have never ceased to be amazed at the way my life as unfolded, doing what I enjoy most...lifting people's lives and helping them to grow. I love people and want to see them aspire to their strengths.
    The mystery is why have I been so blessed to thrive on what I enjoy most. It has involved my giving my best for the sake of others. I had a friend say to me once (and I've said it many times since) "Keep you eyes straight ahead and don't look back." That has riveted me toward my goals and rewarded me with the achievement of the major goals I've had.
    Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete