Friday, January 22, 2010

ASPIRE -- A Book Worthy of Your Time

When I find a book that rocks my world I like to tell my best friends about it. Welcome to my inner circle of best friends. The book is called Aspire, Discovering Your Purpose through the Power of Words by Kevin Hall. I finished reading it a few days ago; yet I’ll never be finished reading this powerful gem. You are going to have to read it for yourself. Here is a taste of what you’ll find in these 238 pages.

We are introduced to eleven powerful words, four of which were new words to me. The remaining seven are common enough words, but in Kevin’s hands they become change agents for challenging thoughts and behavior relative to these words and how we view those close to us.

Kevin also suggests that we send each of these words to people within our sphere of influence, share the meaning and how that individual demonstrates the particular character trait of that word. I have been doing this and am amazed at the responses I’ve received from my recipients. I encourage you to try this for yourself. You’ll almost certainly lift someone’s spirit.

Some of the words you’ll encounter are:

GENSHAI (pronounced “GEN-shy”) means that you should never treat another person in a manner that would make them feel small, and that means yourself. (Page 9)

NAMASTE (pronounced “nah-mah-STAY”) says “I salute the Divine within you; I salute your God-given gifts. (Page 41)

SAPERE VEDERE (pronounced “sah-PARE-ay veh-DARE-ay”) declares that a person knows how to see. Another way of saying this is “believing is seeing”. (Page 90)

OLLIN (Pronounced “All-in”) if you are an “Ollin” person this means you “move and act now with all your heart.” (Page 185)

Kevin also takes a simple, familiar word like “Inspire” and turns it into a whole new way of thinking about our day-to-day interactions we have with other people. Allow me to quote a few passages:

“Inspire is to breathe into. I can breathe life into the spirit of others.”

“From this day on I resolve to leave every person I meet better for having met me.” That is a worthy declaration, and one by which I want to live.

Kevin quotes Maya Angelou with this: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

I love that! I’ve been reflecting on that one comment for a week now. I have recounted countless esteeming thoughts I’ve received in my lifetime.

Unfortunately, I’ve also recounted a few less than esteeming words that have been tossed my way. I think Maya was right. Even in those non-esteeming moments I’ve never forgotten how some of those words made me feel.

To whom can you and I offer words of esteem, encouragement and hope this very day?

“When you ‘encourage’ you add to someone’s heart.” (Page 134)

Enjoy this book. Let it strengthen your personal and business relationships. May it give you some new insights into these important and powerful words.

And always, always remember this …


“People will never forget how you made them feel.”


(To purchase your copy of Aspire, go to my bookstore link and add Aspire to your shopping cart. The link can be found in the right hand panel at the beginning of this blog.)

__________________
Michael Biggs is a speaker, writer, speech coach and vocal soloist. He lives in Edmonds, WA. with his wife Carolyn. His company is called Up-Words, “Offering Hope, Encouragement, and Inspiration One Word at a Time”. He is available to speak to your business or organization. Please contact him at 206-349-1888 or email him at michael@up-words.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment